Looking for easy DIY home decor ideas? Follow this easy DIY envelope pillow tutorial and make your own home accents!
Decorative pillows make such a difference in every room of the house. Pillows that can be switched out easily are an added plus. An envelope pillow cover is designed to be easily removed and used as a changeable decorative touch. Use one pillow form (or an existing square pillow) and switch out covers depending on the season, your decor, or a whim. Easily remove the cover for cleaning. Follow these easy steps to create an envelope back for your next pillow project!
Measuring and Cutting
This tutorial is for a 14″ square pillow. Here’s how to measure and cut for any size pillow:
- Measure length and width of your pillow (for example: 18″wide x 14″long)
- Add 1″ to the width to create 1/2″ seam allowance on each side (18″ + 1″ = 19″wide).
- Add 4″ to the length (14″ + 4″ = 18″ long)
- Divide this number by 2 (9″)
- Cut two fabric pieces 19″wide x 9″long
- Continue with Step 2 below
- Cut two pieces of selected fabric 15”w x 9”l
- Fold over 1/4” on one long edge of each piece and press, then fold over another 3/4” on the same edges and press.
- Stitch close to Inner Fold using a straight stitch.
- Measure 2” down on one piece and mark across.
- Place one piece over the other, aligning outside edge of top piece with marked line on bottom piece.
- Baste to hold pieces together. I’ve used different patterns to help you see the pieces.
- I recommend attaching a few snaps or Velcro to the envelope opening. This will help keep the pillow closed if you’re using a firmly stuffed pillow form or pillow.
- You are now ready to complete your pillow.
DIY home decor some more!
Now that you’ve made one envelope pillow cover, indulge your inner DIY home decor diva! Make covers for Christmas, Valentines Day, July 4th, and more. They fold up to store easily, and make celebrating just a little more fun.
Speaking of holidays, our Love You the Most pillow cover design is a great Valentines idea. Make one for your sweetheart, or make a few in coordinating prints for a romantic touch in any room. Make them modern and colorful, make them traditional, make them with boho style! Just make them. Purchase the Love You the Most pillow cover pattern HERE!